When you think of corn and soup, the most obvious thing that comes to mind is the classic, creamy corn chowder. But what about a healthier, dairy-free version with a modern spin? This is exactly what Chef Michael Abramson – the man behind YamChops – created on behalf of Loblaws with his vegan ‘Corn & Miso Soup’.
While spending some of the last days of summer relaxing at my cottage – smack in the middle of Ontario’s southern farm country – I decided to try my hand at making Chef Michael’s soup using the fresh, seasonal corn that was grown just steps away from my lakeside haven.
Of course, as many of you know, I’m a big fan of easy and healthy crowd-pleasing recipes that don’t take a huge amount of effort to make. I absolutely love food, and cooking, but who has the time to dedicate hours on end to one meal, or dish, unless you’re a professional cook?
What grabbed my attention about this recipe is its simple fusion of East and West staples. As a Toronto-based Canadian who is half Korean, a quarter English and quarter Scottish, enjoying Miso Soup and fresh summer corn have been staples of my diet since I was a kid, although never together – until now.
Naturally, I had to try this unexpected combination immediately, and got to work in the kitchen after buying a baker’s dozen of freshly picked corn from a local farm.
The result? A simple, sweet and salty, thick (yet still light!) vegan miso corn soup that was an instant hit with my entire family. Even my Irish-Canadian boyfriend, with East Coast roots, and deep love for potato and dairy-filled chowders, went wild for this vegan soup. WIN!
Here’s how to make the vegan corn miso soup, created by Chef Michael Ambramson for Loblaws:
CORN & MISO SOUP
“This unexpected play on the classic Japanese soup is a fun and unusual way to embrace seasonal corn. Serve alongside tomato sushi for a lip-smacking savoury meal.”
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 40 minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Chef: Michael Abramson on behalf of Loblaw
- • 12 ears of PC® Amaize Sweet White Corn
- • 3 tbsp PC® New World EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- • 1 large Sweet onion
- • 5 tbsp of White miso
- • 2 tbsp Minced green onion
- • Sea salt
- • Black pepper
- • Chili oil
1. Peel and clean corn.
2. Spread a clean kitchen towel over a cutting board. Slice off the point of the cob and stand corn in the centre of the tea towel. With a very sharp knife, slice off the kernels in strips.
3. Place the corn cobs into a pot of boiling water, covering by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
4. Simmer for 40-45 minute until the water is infused with Amaiz-ing corn flavour.
5. Dice the onion.
6. In another pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
7. Add miso and one cup of your corn stock into the pot with the onions and whisk to dissolve the miso.
8. Add your corn kernels and another cup of corn stock. Cook until the kernels are tender, 3-4 minutes.
9. Once the kernels are tender, transfer them to a blender with an additional 1 ½ – 2 cups of your corn stock and puree until smooth and silky. This may have to be done in batches; do not fill blender more than half way with hot liquid.
10. Return soup to a clean pot and heat over low until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Serve topped with a swirl of chili oil and minced green onion.
Serve, and enjoy!
The post The Best Vegan Miso Corn Soup Recipe EVER by Chef Michael Abramson appeared first on Gracie Carroll.