Considering my family cottage is located in south-western Ontario, it’s not often that I find myself relaxing at a cottage in Muskoka. Sure, I’ve been to friends’ cottages up north here and there, but what I experienced on the President’s Choice #PCsummer weekend getaway was certainly on another level.
For starters, after the standard 2 and a half hour drive, we literally pulled up to what most of us would consider a mansion – not exactly you’re average ‘cottage’. The larger-than-life entrance lead to soaring ceilings and an open concept home that featured at least 15 bedrooms and multiple fireplaces. It was, to be honest, totally unreal.
In fact, all weekend I joked that all of the boat houses on the lake were larger than most homes in downtown Toronto. Certainly far bigger than #CasaGC, and these places were just to house boats, and maybe the odd guest – not actual families. Rumour has it that this particular lake is where Goldie Hawn and clan have their cottage, so you can just imagine the scale of living that is the norm in this particular area.
Over the course of our private #PCsummer weekend in Muskoka, our media group had the privilege of having George Weston Ltd’s ExecSous, Andrea Buckett, on hand to spoil us with her kitchen handiwork all weekend long.
Since I’m a bit of a recipe geek (aka freak), and loved so many of the cottage-perfect dishes she served us, I decided to share 6 PC Summer recipes from Chef Andrea Buckett that I think (and I’m sure she does too) you should try this summer. Although the pictures don’t all match up (hey, some were served late at night and it was dark! Plus, we ate waaaay more than just 6 delicious PC meals) you can trust me (and Andrea) that you’re going to want try these regardless of the missing image.
Keep reading for a list of 6 PC summer recipes from Chef Andrea Buckett that you need to try!
1. Andrea’s Boozy Campfire Fondue Recipe
1 wheel PC® Goat cheese brie
1 tbsp. Brandy or white wine
- Unwrap cheese and place round on heavy duty aluminum foil
- Prick cheese with fork and drizzle with brandy or wine
- Wrap loosely with aluminum foil and place on the edge of the fire or over embers
- Heat for 12-15 minutes
- Remove from heat and place on a serving platter
- Open, peel back to top rind of the cheese
- Serve with crusty bread and chutney
2. Andrea’s Cauliflower and Sweet Pea Salad
1 bag PC® Frozen cauliflower, thawed
2 cups PC® Frozen peas
1 cup Thinly sliced celery
1 cup Thinly sliced radish
2 tbsp. Chopped tarragon (you can substitute dill)
2 tbsp. Chopped parsley
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Sea salt
1 tbsp. PC® Grainy mustard
3 tbsp. PC® BL honey ginger condiment
4 tbsp. PC® Olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together
- Pour over vegetables and serve
3. Andrea’s Grilled PC Halloom with Strawberries & Basil
1 package PC® Halloom cheese, sliced into ¼ inch slices
¾ cup Sliced strawberries
4 Basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 tbsp. PC® Organic honey
¼ tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high heat
- Place Halloom cheese on grill and cook for about 3 minutes per side
- In the meantime, stir together strawberries, basil, honey and pepper and set aside
- Place grilled Halloom on a serving platter and top with strawberries
4. Andrea’s Mini Waffle Bowls with Chicken and Slaw
6 PC® Mini waffle bowls
12 PC® Too Good To Be Wings – Butter Chicken flavour
1 cup PC® Broccoli slaw
½ cup Chopped granny smith apple
2 tbsp. PC® Greek yogurt plain 2%
1 tbsp. Lime juice
1 tsp. Lime zest
Cilantro to garnish
- Cook Butter Chicken Wings according to package direction
- Place broccoli slaw, apple, Greek yogurt, lime juice and zest in a bowl and mix together
- Place cooked chicken in waffle bowl, top with slaw and garnish with cilantro
5. Andrea’s Chipotle Taco Salad
12 cups (3 L) Chopped romaine lettuce hearts
1 pkg (255 g) PC Grape Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 cup (250 mL) Drained and rinsed canned black beans
1 cup (250 mL) Corn kernels
3/4 cup (175 mL) thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup (125 mL) Thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup (125 mL) Chopped fresh coriander
1-½ cups (375 mL) Grated PC Monterey Jack Cheese with Jalapeño Peppers
1 bag (99 g) PC® Chili Lime Flavoured Tortilla Strips
2/3 cup (150 mL) PC® Chipotle Ranch Dressing
1 Avocado, pitted, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- Toss together lettuce, tomatoes, beans, corn, red onion, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the green onion, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the coriander, the cheese, three-quarters of tortilla strips and the dressing.
- Transfer to serving platter; top with remaining green onion, coriander and tortilla strips. Garnish with avocado.
Tip: Add BBQ chicken for a dinner option.
6. Andrea’s Chocolate Mousse
2 tbsp. PC® Coconut oil
1 cup PC® Semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Organic eggs
1 cup Organic cream
½ tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Real vanilla
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil slowly, over double boiler
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl
- Beat the cream until it is thick or stiff peaks form
- Whisk the eggs into the melted chocolate, whisking quickly until the mixture become smooth and thick. Remove from heat and cool
- Fold the cream into the above mixture
- Place in refrigerator until ready to eat
Optional Add In – Fold any of the below combinations into the mixture in step 5. Alternatively, you can top your mousse with these or any other fruit and nut mixture you prefer! Some of our favourites include:
- ¼ cup dates, finely chopped, ¼ cup hazelnuts chopped.
- ¼ apricots, finely chopped, ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Two handfuls of fresh raspberries
TIP: The cream will beat faster if you place your bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes prior to beating.
The post 6 PC Summer Recipes From Chef Andrea Buckett You Need To Try! #PCsummer appeared first on Gracie Carroll.